9-3-06 English/Immigration
When reading this I couldn't help but feel like I was reading a letter of an immigrant today. The letters talked about how great America was, and the opportunity that they had to do great things. They expressed their love of the freedom they had to practice whatever religion they wanted to. With immigration being a very controversial subject today I started thinking about the laws being set for immigration. I used to think that we should incredibly harsh on immigration. However after reading this I saw a glimpse of what people think of America today, even though this was written a long time ago. How do you feel about immigration after reading this? Do you think our country is too easy on immigration? How do you feel about people coming over here illegally just trying to make a better life for themselves and their family? How should our government handle this issue?
3 Comments:
I agree with Chase P. Immagration is a whole different matter now a days than it used to be in the 1800's. This country was founded by immigrants. Everyone that came to america was an immigrant. That's why there is such a variety of races now. All these people saw an oportunity and a beautiful country. The line that most sticks out to me is on the first page, "They brought along with them their national genius, to which they principally owe what liberty they enjoy, and what substance they possess." All the immagrants from the 1800's helped to build this country into what it is today. With out them many inventions wouldnt be around today. So many things would be different. I think that todays issues are a little different. Our country is overpopulated as it is. Jobs are being takin up. But like Chase said, "the one thing that makes us American is the way we stand up for our nation." Wise words.
The policies of immigration have changed greatly from the days this article was written to those of today. In those days, the immigrants were coming from similar backgrounds in similar nations of Europe. These new inhabitants were immediately accepted as neighbors, brothers in refuge from the harsh life which they escaped in their homelands. Racism was not a factor to nearly any degree and those already making occupying America were anxious to have these men be their neighbors. Today, we have a very strong sense of nationalism to the point of exclusivity which leads us to have the preconception that these immigrants are not as good as us and can not become Americans. We worry that they will take our jobs and those of our children and for that we undertake many actions to keep them from our paramount nation. My reading of this article did not alter my opinion but rather built it further in my mind and that is that we should work even harder to keep illegal immigrants out of our country, but allow many, more in through a legal and less complicated process. Our nation is no longer collected outsiders but rather a highly educated and wealthy mass which has led to less demand for the farming and physical labor jobs upon which the nation was built. I believe that if these immigrants desire these low pay jobs to seek a better life here in America, we should allow them to work so that the rest of us can maintain our healthy and frivolous lifestyle. I personally dislike those who come here illegally without even attempting to become legal citizens, for they have no desire to become Americans but rather stay whatever nationality they were but only more prosperous than they ever could have been in their own country. They do not pay taxes to reimburse the government for the money spent for the education and roads for themselves and their neighbors. Those who come to work hard for themselves and help the nation through their taxes and occasional military service are to me just as American as any other whose family has been here for over a century.
In "From Letters from an American Farmer" by J. Hector St John De Crevecoeur, he writes:
"Here individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men, whose labors and posterity will one day cause great changes in the world. Americans...carry along with them that great mass of arts, sciences, vigor, and industry which began long since in the east; they will finish the great circle."
I believe that this statement is very true. I believe that we have gotten many things from our mother nation (Britain) and we continue to grow due to the help of other nations and outside ideas. I believe that as Americans we have to give as many people as possible a chance to start a new life. I've always thought immigration was a tough issue but I do believe that everyone does deserve a chance to better themselves. Obviously, it's ridiculous to let everyone that wants to come to America in, but we can still help out by allowing certain numbers in if they are guarenteed a job before they come. We could also help other less fortunate countries start new industries, which would create more jobs, in their homeland.
Post a Comment
<< Home